Capital expenditure (CapEx) encompasses all the works necessary to physically create railway infrastructure. Some of this may be the preparatory work to enable construction of a line or station, or it can include the costs of the final permanent works.
Capital expenditure covers all aspects of the civil, mechanical and electrical engineering that together create a whole project.
The tool below is designed to provide a high-level indicative range of capital costs for different types of projects, based on historical cost data, right at the start of a project when there has been little development work. At this stage of a project, there are often more questions than answers and the project will inevitably hide a number of unknowns that can have a serious impact on the cost. Therefore, matching the limited descriptions of built projects held within this tool with the even more limited knowledge of a proposed scheme is challenging. It is however worthwhile in order to try and understand a range of potential capital costs and hence enable a promotor to assess their projects likely viability through input into the first stages of a business case.
As stated above, the tool is aimed at the earliest stage of project assessment which in process terms and as indicated on the following diagram.
This tool is in Beta and is undergoing further testing and development. Outputs should be considered as indicative only. Additional data will be added once it is available and has been quality assured, to provide users with a wider sample of schemes with which to review. There is also ongoing development work to improve future usability and any new developments will be flagged on the BVR ‘What’s new’ page. If you have any queries on information provided within the tool please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch with your Network Rail contact.
The tool below will help you explore the capital cost elements of existing real projects.
This Frequently Asked Questions document, and the video will help you to make best use of the tool.
This video explains the range finder tool and how to use it
Capital Expenditure Range Finder Tool
Use the double ended diagonal arrow in the bottom right corner to expand the report to full screen.
Where to get further information
Having used this tool, if you wish to proceed further and discuss your proposal in more detail, please contact the appropriate Network Rail Regional Business Development Director.
While we make every effort to ensure that the content of this tool is accurate, this is not always achievable and therefore the data provided through this tool is provided without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to its accuracy. Any cost ranges that are provided through the use of this tool are meant for indicative purposes and should not be used as any form of estimate.
If, having used this tool, you wish to proceed further and discuss your proposal in more detail, please contact the appropriate Network Rail Regional Business Development Director or the Director of Sponsorship.
Specific terms and conditions:
The Standard Terms and Conditions written below manage the use of this CapEx Range Finder Tool as part of the Better Value Rail suite of tools. These terms will be applied fully and affect your use of this tool. By using the tool, you agree to accept all terms and conditions written here. You must not use the tool if you disagree with any of these Standard Terms and Conditions.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we, other members of our group of companies and third parties connected to us hereby expressly exclude:
- All conditions, warranties and other terms which might otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity.
- Any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage incurred by any user in connection with our tool or in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of our tool and any materials posted on it, including, without limitation any liability for: (i) loss of income or revenue; (ii) loss of business; (iii) loss of profits or contracts; (iv) loss of anticipated savings; (v) loss of data; (vi) loss of goodwill; (vii) wasted management or office time; and (viii) for any other loss or damage of any kind, however arising and whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable.
- It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
You are restricted from undertaking all of the following:
- Publishing any of the information held in this tool in any other media
- Using the information in this tool in any way that may be damaging to this tool, person or business entity
- Engaging in any data mining, data harvesting, data extracting or any other similar activity in relation to this tool
- No cost or range of costs that this tool provides are to be used as an estimate in any form
- The cost or range of costs that this tool provides are outline and it is important that any cost information utilised for the development of proposition or business case is validated by Network Rail prior to its use.
Limitation of Liability
In no event shall Network Rail, Office of Rail and Road, Department for Transport, nor any of their officers, directors, or any employees, be held liable for anything arising out of or in any way connected with your use of this Tool whether such liability is under contract, nor shall they be held liable for any indirect, consequential, or special liability arising out of or in any way related to your use of the tool
Governing Law & Jurisdiction
Your use of this tool and any dispute arising out of such use of the tool is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.